How to Bet on eSports
In recent years, video games have evolved from a casual pastime into well-organized online gaming competitions known as esports. According to statistical data, by 2023, the number of esports fans is expected to rise exponentially — up to 646 million.
As a result, numerous betting websites have started including esports in their betting offers. Additionally, placing wagers on the majority of the most important esports competitions has become available worldwide.
Today, the most prominent bookies provide a wide range of e-sports games and betting markets. So, if you want to learn how to get the most out of these virtual competitions, feel free to read about a few simple tricks in this article.
The Most Popular Games to Bet on
Just like in other kinds of sports, some competitions are more popular than others in esports as well. Therefore, before you dive into the world of esports betting, you should get acquainted with some of the popular titles you can place wagers on:
- Dota 2 — Dota 2 is one of the most famous multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) games in the world. The game is free to play and features two teams made of five players. Each of the teams aims to win the battle and destroy the other team’s main building located in the center of their base known as
- League of Legends — The game known as LoL among the esports audience is another MOBA game with a large userbase. In order to keep up with Dota 2, Riot Games had to come up with various characters and unique items, which has led to the development of another popular esports option.
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive — Since 2012, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO) has been rated as one of the world’s top games. This multiplayer first-person shooter video game allows you to step into your character’s shoes and use all the items available to eliminate your opponents.
- Fortnite — This game belongs to the battle royale genre and is mostly described as a survival-shooter hybrid. You are dropped somewhere onto a map, and, after landing, your goal is to survive by defeating other players. Although it might look like a cartoon at first thanks to its graphics, the game requires using a carefully developed strategy and absolute focus on the gameplay.
- Overwatch — Some say that Overwatch is a perfect blend of MOBA and FPS gameplay, making it suitable for all esports lovers who can’t make up their mind between the two game types. However, if you wish to bet on it, you’d better start catching up with the gameplay as soon as possible, as there are many factors you need to consider before trying your luck.
Know Your Game
Now that you know what esports you should focus on, you can start polishing your betting skills. The first thing you should know is that betting on esports doesn’t differ much from betting on any other physical sports out there. To place a winning bet, you must understand the gameplay first, which includes more than just reading a brief overview of a game.
For example, if you want to place a wager on Dota 2, the first thing you should do is install it and give it a try. Make sure that you learn all there is to know about the game features that are available. Furthermore, don’t forget to take some time to watch the matches played by professional gamers on some of the popular streaming platforms.
Naturally, all these games are pretty tricky, which is why you can’t expect to become a pro in esports betting after a day of playing the game of your choice. Therefore, make sure to practise as much as you can. After you’ve gathered all the necessary information about the gameplay, you can start researching the available betting markets.
Understand Betting Markets
Knowing a game’s ins and outs is a job half-done, which is why understanding your options regarding available esports betting markets is crucial. Esports bookmakers nowadays offer a variety of betting markets you should get familiar with:
- Moneyline — If you’re a total beginner at esports betting, moneyline is perfect for you. Here, you’re only required to pick a team you think will win in the end.
- Proposition Bets — With prop bets, you don’t have to guess the game’s outcome. Instead, you can bet on any game aspect that has nothing to do with how the match ends. For instance, you can bet on the number of kills of an individual player, the first team to kill an enemy, and more. Proposition bets can be very creative, so make sure to check all your options under this category.
- Outrights — If you’re confident enough about the overall winner of a competition, feel free to place an outright winner bet. This bet is popular among avid esports bettors who are already familiar with the game’s top-rated teams and their results from previous competitions.
- Over/Under — You can also try to predict the total number of murders for a team or an individual player by saying whether it will be higher or lower than the bookie’s predictions.
Esports Betting Tips and Tricks
Once you’ve mastered the basics of esports betting, you’ll be able to use some extra tricks to increase your chances of winning. Here are a few of them that can come in handy:
- Choose the Right Bookie — Bear in mind that every bookmaker has the right to create their own odds, which is why they can differ from one operator to another. As a result, your choice of a bookie can impact your winning potential significantly. So, if you want to win as much money as possible, you need to put your trust in a bookie with the best odds on the market.
- Set a Budget — Betting on esports is an activity that is both fun and potentially rewarding. However, players sometimes lose control of their spending and waste more money than planned. To prevent this from happening, set a monthly budget for esports betting and stick to it at all times.
- Make a Staking Plan — A staking plan represents the way you’ll distribute your funds across your wagers. This plan can be fixed or variable. Either way, it should be decided on in advance.
- Stay up to Date — The esports industry is developing rather fast, which is why you have to be up to date if you want to make money. That’s why you should regularly check news and innovations regarding the games you bet on and the way they affect esports betting in general.
Although esports competitions are fun to watch on their own, betting can make them even more enjoyable. Still, before trying your luck, make sure to study and practise the game of your choice. Once you’ve learned all about your favourite game and memorized betting markets, you’ll have to set your budget, find the right bookie, and set off on your esports betting adventure.